Monty had his final check up at the CSU Flint Animal Cancer Center this morning: He is healing well, and cleared to eat and play however he wants again!!! WOOT!!! He has been pouting and sulking a lot the last week, wanting his toys and to play catch. So I am super happy to learn we can get back into our
THANK YOU to all of you who have support me and Monty through this crazy journey of battling cancer. Your kind words, positive vibes, prayers, and generosity have helped more than I can ever express.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
Wednesday afternoon I got the call from the Colorado State University Veterinary Hospital oncology team that my Mister Montague the Moose is officially cancer free. YAY!!! It is such a relief to learn everything Monty and I have gone through the last two months has led to him back on track to enjoy his life as he is meant to.
Now, we focus on healing up from surgery (despite our fun set back of three visits to the ER the weekend after Monty’s surgery. He kicked two of his stitches out in his sleep Saturday night, which kicked off *pun intended* a weekend full of trying to fix the stitches.) and snuggling ALL THE TIME. And, once he’s healed up, we are going to have so many awesome adventures, too, to celebrate. Lots of hiking and swimming adventures are in our future this spring and summer, and maybe a road trip or two as well!
Thank you for all your love and support as we went through this battle. I really appreciate you so, so very much.
Just a few days before Monty’s big surgery that would alter his handsome looks, we went to Horsetooth Reservoir to do a photo shoot to capture Monty’s amazing personality. The photos were beautifully done by Erin Thames Photography. Enjoy!
My boyfriend, Ryan, has lovingly set up a donation page for Monty’s surgery. If you would like to support Mr. Montague in his surgery and recovery, please consider making an investment in his future as a derper dog (due to the tongue hanging out situation that we now have!). Thank you ❤
Monty’s surgery did not start until a little after 4pm yesterday, and his surgery took longer than expected so I did not get the phone call from the surgeon until about 7:15pm. At that time, I was hosting my usual quiz at McClellan’s Brewing, but the staff and quizzers alike were super supportive of me having to pause the quiz and take the call to make sure Monty made it out of surgery okay.
This morning, CSU called a little after 8am updating me that Monty did well through the night and had a pretty good appetite as well. They said he was doing great this morning and that I could pick him up after 11am, so I went and got him right at 11.
So now we are home! Monty is quite alert, although a little droopy/drugged up (he’s got some pretty sweet pain medications to give him comfort). Now begins the healing process. At this moment, he is napping by the door and drooling all over the place. He gets three medications three times a day at different intervals, so I am working on making a chart to keep track of it all. In 10-14 days, Monty will go back to the vet to have a check up appointment and make sure everything is healing correctly. And in 7-10 days we will hear back from the lab as to whether or not the tumor was completely removed. If the lab results come back that the tumor is fully gone, Monty is cured of cancer. (!!!)
I will make sure to do an update once we hear back from the lab and know our status in this cancer battle. Thank you to everyone who has been so amazing and supportive during this process. I am forever in your debt!! ❤
Ryan has lovingly set up a donation page for Monty’s surgery. If you would like to support Mr. Montague in his surgery and recovery, please consider making an investment in his future as a derper dog (due to the tongue hanging out situation that we now have!). Thank you ❤
Today is the big day. Monty and I arrived at the CSU vet hospital bright and early at 7:30am this morning. I was able to meet with the new team (my previous team, for several reasons, was unable to do the surgery today) and ask any final questions I had. Monty was typical Monty and shook as if he was a chihuahua once we got inside the hospital. That pup is too smart for his own good! The new team seems wonderful. We have a student vet, a teaching vet, and the surgeon, who is one of the staff surgeons. It was a difficult morning for me, but I made sure to be calm and collected while Monty was still with me. Don’t need him knowing I’m a mess! He was taken back to their prep area around 8:15am to get a once-over, get his blood type, and start prepping for surgery.
I will receive phone calls right before Monty goes in for surgery, right after he wakes up, and a follow-up call before the team leaves for the day. They do have an overnight team that takes over, so Monty will be monitored the entire night. They will then call me tomorrow morning around 8am to let me know how he’s doing and if/when he’ll be ready for me to pick him back up. The vet also said she would take a picture of Monty post-surgery so I can prepare myself for what he’ll look like when I see him in person again.
This will be the first time since I adopted Monty that I sleep in my home without him there. It will definitely be an odd evening for both of us. I left a hoodie that I wore most of yesterday with Monty so he could smell home and me, and hopefully know I will be coming for him as soon as I can!
Please send all you’ve got – prayers, positive energy, good juju, etc – to Monty for his surgery today and for his recovery in the days to come. Thank you ❤
And for something a little more fun: all this week leading up to today, Monty and I had as many adventures as we could. He went swimming at the indoor dog pool, got all the pets at New Belgium Brewery, went hiking and swimming at Horsetooth Reservoir, did our usual walks at the ponds near our house, and had a toy party last night (since he won’t have toys for a month… poor guy!). Enjoy our pictures from the adventures. 🙂
Yesterday, Monty had his CT scan at the CSU cancer center.
We arrived at 7:15am and he was taken back for the day soon after. It was a pretty nerve-raking day for me, since Monty had to be put under for the scan and I have terrible anxiety with anesthesia. Monty was a champ, though, and he did great, although was a little dopey still when I picked him up. I met with the oncology surgeon around 4pm when I came to get Monty and learned what they saw. It turns out the cancer has been attacking Monty’s jaw bone (we originally didn’t think it was) and the entire front of his mouth is infected. Luckily, the tumor does not go past his canine teeth, so our surgery plan that was discussed on Monday is the same: they will remove the lower jaw bone to just behind the canine teeth (so Monty will be losing his canines, which is a bummer, but necessary). The surgeon was very confident that this surgery would completely remove the tumor and Monty would be back on track to having a the lifespan he deserves.
I talked a while with the vet and surgeon about Monty’s quality of life after this surgery, since it seems to me to be a major change. They both said that while Monty may look a little different, it won’t affect his ability to play/eat/chew/etc in any way.
The big day is scheduled for Thursday, March 16. I will be taking Monty to the cancer center that morning, and they will hold him overnight after the 1.5 hour surgery to ensure everything is okay and Monty’s comfort level/pain management. My plan is to work from home that Friday, March 17 so I can be available to pick him up when he’s ready and then be with him the rest of the day/into the weekend.
Please send your love, healing thoughts, positive vibes, whatever you have to send for Monty to have a successful and as painless as possible surgery next Thursday.
Ryan has lovingly set up a donation page for Monty’s surgery. If you would like to support Mr. Montague, please consider making an investment in his future as a derper dog (due to the inevitable tongue hanging out situation that we will have post-surgery). Thank you ❤
Last Thursday, my vet called to discuss the dental specialist veterinarian she had recommended and finally spoke with about Monty. She informed me that the specialist wants to do surgery as soon as possible to try to eradicate the cancer and avoid issue with Monty’s jaw in the future. It seems the main concern is that due to the cancer’s location (close to the middle joint of his lower jaw bone) that when the tumor comes back, it could break his jaw by messing with the joint. The surgery, from our initial conversation, sounds like it would involve taking some of Monty’s jaw bone and surrounding tissue to take out the entire area the tumor was in in the hopes to completely remove it. There may be some “wiring” involved as well, but I was assured his canine teeth should be able to remain. .
On Monday, we had our appointment with Colorado State University’s Animal Cancer Center. I was nervous going into the appointment, mainly because I was worried they would either contradict what my normal vet and the dental specialist recommended OR that they would want to do the surgery themselves and I would have to choose who would be doing the procedure. Honestly, in all of this, my greatest fear is that I will make a poor choice for Monty. This road is not clear cut, it’s not “to achieve A, do B” and I’m truly terrified I will make a bad decision and it will affect Monty’s quality of life or length of life.
We arrived at 10am for our appointment and met with the vet, and then the oncology surgeon to discuss Monty and their recommendations. The CSU team is very optimistic we can get Monty to total remission, and have his length and quality of life not altered in any way once the tumor is completely removed. They would like to do a CT scan to get a better idea of where the tumor remains, and then use those images to plan out the second surgery that they agree needs to be done. This surgeon believes Monty will most likely have to lose his bottom canines to ensure we have removed the entire area of the cancer cells. We won’t know for sure, though, until his CT scan. The scan is scheduled for this Wednesday (March 8) and Monty will have to spend the day at the hospital, and they will have to put him under. I believe, after talking with both vets, that I will go with CSU’s surgery team for this second surgery. Send positive vibes, as I always hate when they are knocked out…
I also reached out to my vet from back home in Wisconsin, as she is a specialist of sorts for alternative medicine options. I truly want to make sure I am doing everything I can at home to assist Monty in his battle with his cancer. I’m all for combining modern medicine with alternative medicine. So, we shall see if she recommends any supplements or diet changes or anything else to support his immune system and help Monty heal.
Please keep Monty in your thoughts/prayers/send him your positive energy/good juju as we move ahead towards our goal of remission!
It’s been two weeks since Monty’s surgery, and one week since learning his biopsy came back that he has cancer. Monty went in for his surgery follow-up yesterday and his mouth is healing up nicely! The new tissue looked weird to me, so I was paranoid the tumor had already grown back but it’s just a normal new tissue growth process. (Whew) The only problem right now is Monty wants to play like normal, but his mouth is still healing so we are having to get creative to replace his usual games of fetch and chew toys.
I heard back from the CSU Animal Cancer Center – we are off the wait list and have an appointment: March 6. I am excited to talk with their specialists and start to move forward with a plan. My regular vet is also reaching out to her colleagues to find a dental specialist who may be open to taking Monty on (if and when he’ll need a more invasive surgery that could include his jaw bone).
Due to where the tumor was/will be when it comes back (next to his mandibular symphysis), the surgery will be more involved than normal. The mandible is comprised of two halves joined together on the midline at the mandibular symphysis, which is a fibrocartilaginous joint aka his bottom jaw is actually two bones that come together at the front of his mouth (note the gap shown in this random, not Monty’s mouth xray – if it was Monty, those six little teeth would all be gone!). So surgery needs to be very careful in this area since it’s not just regular bone and involves a joint.
For now, we are just focusing on healing from the initial surgery and I am doing whatever research I can to prepare for our next steps. Monty is feeling great (currently barking at a squirrel who dares to be in the back yard) and ready to get his toys back, and also super pumped that we have some snow on the ground again. We’ll update again after our CSU appointment on Monday, March 6!
Monty, the Snow Dog on Thursday morning – no, he won’t come back inside just yet. 🙂